On Tuesday, i was lucky enough to have a day off.
On Tuesdays, most museums are closed, but on Tuesdays the Cité des Sciences museum remains open.
This particular Parisian museum was adverstising a special exhibit on Science and Fiction, I had seen the posters in the subways many time and the geekette in me decided it was time to get my old spacesuit out of the garment bag and set up for an interstellar adventure.
"The exhibition reveals the rich dialogue between the sciences and science fiction and how they influence each other. You will visit one of the largest European collections of original objects that have appeared in cult SF films. You will also see rare books and SF manuscripts from the Bibliothèque nationale de France (National Library of France) collection."The show covers many areas of science-fiction : extraterrestrials, spaceships, robots, evil governments, machines, landscapes...Each having a devoted zone with scientific explanations, extracts from movies, pictures from books, and display windows.
For each zone, a time-line summarized what was written when and what was really discovered and when. I wish they had aligned those dates for relevancy.
The exhibit also deals with some literary aspects of the genre : space operas, tv shows, anticipation novels, alternate history, comics and pulp... Once in a while, some smaller areas are set up as library and you can read books.
I really liked the costumes (Number 6 is really tiny!), the viper, the robots... There were games to try to land a module to a battleship, or a collaborative game to save a shuttle, but the throng of kids present that day prevented me from playing. Yep ! I am a complainer, last time I complained about older folks being to slow, and this time, I was annoyed by kids running anywhere and everywhere not paying attention to anything and anyone. (It was the holiday and the only kid-friendly museum open, I knew that before going, and what kind of expecting it...)



No comments:
Post a Comment