Monday, August 24, 2009

Crête - Driving to Ierapetra (140 km) - day 5

The road to Ierapetra, the largest city on the south side of the island, was easy. It was a red one on our map. We had quickly figured out the way our map was working. It was quite precise with roads drawned in red, yellow and white : Reds were 2 lanes, national roads. Yellows were the small ones were passing anything was diffult, and the white ones were for off roads vehicles.

The first portion of the roads cut through the Messara fertile valley. The scenery was made of silvery green square patches of the olive fields...Sometimes there was a greener patch : it was a vineyard.

We decided to get off the main road to go to a beach at Kastri and Karakambos. Right on the beach there were 2 small cabines to change into swimsuits and a fresh water shower. The beach was tiny, lined with pinestrees providing some needed shade. The sand was burning and the water was really warm. I could just sit in the water and I was fine!

We arrived in Koutsounari, where the hotel was located, at the end of the afternoon. Once again we tried the local beach which was made of very tiny pebbles, but it was windy...

As we had only one night on site, we went to Ierapetra for a quick stroll and dinner. Ierapetra is a lively city with a few nice buildings. We noticed that everywhere, cafés and restaurants had huge terrasses and rooms as if every places wanted to be able to host the whole city.

During dinner we enjoyed the visit of Peticha, a black kitten. We had seen cats and kittens everywhere in Chania. The were thin with very long legs and usually roamed near the restaurants. Peticha was very cute and he liked me. I climb on the booth I was seated on and played with everything. I guess it's like feeding the squirrels or pigeons and it shouldn't be encouraged, so I tried, tried, tried, not to give him anything, but it was hard. Even after he had a small piece of lamp, petitcha stayed with me. He was so cute!

No comments: