
At the Gallerie Lafayette... a Alice in Wonderland of Toys theme...




At "les Halles", but also Monoprix, Passage du Havre...many many places have decided to go Pink...a very girly pink, maybe because the world is in need of something bright and cheerful...
5 comments:
No! Not you too...
I'm not talking about the dangerous hello kittyish tendencies, that's not news.
I'm talking about this linguistic aberration of saying "at les Halles"...
Next thing you know you'll say that "you went to the boulangerie to buy a baguette" instead of going to the baker's to buy bread...
Pay attention to your language girl.
Noooo... what did they do to the poor 'lapins'!
To David: Well, the place is called "les Halles"... I wouldn' say the Galleries (english) Lafayette, would I?
Also, there is a dinner rue des Ecoles, that I need to try, well I say "je veux essayer le dinner" with the american accent for Dinner. Well, can debate that tonight around a burger at the Moose'
For Eric: the galleries decorated their windows with loads of Nabaztag decotared by artists... it's very cool, and some are very cute. I am considering getting the "mi:ror" :-)
No, the "les" is not part of the name.
It's a thing that is in the French language that is called "article défini pluriel" (you may have heard about them) and that is generally (at least in this case) translated by "the" in English.
I could even argue that even "Halles" is not a proper name and as such it would-in theory- be totally appropriate to say "I go to the Halls" (after all, this is what we say in French).
I'm sure you include the "Les" because you heard some English speakers doing it to "sound French" the same way they'd say boulangerie and baguette instead of baker's and bread, and that's a personal pet peeve of mine (I wanna slap them when they do).
Concerning "Breakfast in America" (you're talking about this one, right?):
First of all, you'd say "diner" and not "dinner", but if you say "Je veux essayer le diner" it's because you speak Frenglish, no French person that speaks French would say it. ;-)
And yeah, let's talk about it tonight. 8PM at Odéon?
I think that green is more hopefull than pink, but the Galeries just need to sell :p
Post a Comment