Friday, October 17, 2008

1 Kilo of computer equals 1 kilo of computer

Lesson: 1 Lb = 0.5 kg = 500 grams

In the US you have what I always thought was a very annoying non-metric system. I never knew what my height exactly was or my weight for that matter (but i am a lday, i'll never tell...)

Anyway, pounds to kilograms was OK, because it was easy. Roughly, 2 pounds equal 1 kg.

So, every time, i would see a wight I would divide by 2 to get the "real" thing...

And I am still doing it...it's very annoying. I was looking for laptops at work and I kept thinking "oh cool, they are sooo light" because I would read 3 which meant 1.5 for my little brain, forgetting it was already kilos...
(the photo is the atrium at work, equivalent to Kirr common at Carnegie Mellon

1 comment:

David in Setouchi said...

1 Lb = 0.45 kg, not 0.5...

It doesn't really make a difference when you buy tomatoes, but it does for heavier stuff (including people)...

and no, the netbooks don't weight 1 Lb... On the other hand mine is about 1 Kg and believe me it makes a difference compared to the usual 4 kgs laptop...