Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dreamlands in Paris

The exhibition is now closed.

As mentioned before , I went to the Modern art museum with a friend to stroll the Dreamlands show. The show was supposed to show how world fairs and theme parks influenced today's architecture and city landscapes.

The first thing we noticed was : people everywhere ! It was really crowded, not as peaceful as the regular exhibit rooms.And dark. The first room was really dark and it got lighter and lighter as we moved along. We looked at the pamphlet : the show was huge.

There were very cool things :
- the "disco frigo" as we called them : fridges set up as skycrapers and decorated like disco balls...
Ville fantôme- This ghost city
- Some very interesting photos from las Vegas
- a cityscape made of fabrics (like teddy bears) from a specific town and displayed in an open suitcase
- A publication by Dali  : "Declaration of the Independence of the Imagination and of the Rights of Man to His Own Madness” by Salvador Dali “WHEN, IN THE COURSE OF HUMAN CULTURE IT BECOMES NECESSARY FOR A PEOPLE TO DESTROY THE INTELLECTUAL BONDS THAT UNITE THEM WITH THE LOGICAL SYSTEMS OF THE PAST, IN ORDER TO CREATE FOR THEMSELVES AN ORIGINAL MYTHOLOGY"

There were disturbing things :
- robot paper box mascarading as skycrapers doing aerobics and then being attacked echoing 911
- a city made of pork bones material

There were some WTF things :
- Photos from cities with a name from an other famous city (Paris, TX, Tokyo, TX)...ok but how is it relevant ?
- There were others but I can't remember them...

Overall, I liked the show even though there were some pieces that (imho) did not belong...  We quickly grew tired. With the darkness and the many people focusing on such a subject was hard...
I am all for visiting  museum rooms after work : very relaxing. Visiting a specific show however, I'd rather do that in the morning, with a nice lunch afterwards to debrief.

3 comments:

David in Setouchi said...

"how is it relevant?"

You're talking about Pompidou...

X 1977 said...

haha...most of the pieces made sens you know.

David in Setouchi said...

I'm not talking about making sense, but about relevance... :-)